how to install source programs in linux

How often does it happen to you to download a new program which happen not to be any kind of debian package or something similar that you just need to use option install.

Beforehand, look for README text which will probably tell you how to install the program

Often for those, source code applications there are couple of steps to do in order to install them.
1. open terminal window (I use yakuake, in which u can open terminal just by pressing F12)
2. go to directory of your new, just downloaded application
3. run ./configure command - it looks if your system is ready to install application. It is checking for packages it needs to get its installed (newly downloaded application)
4. Look for comments at the end. If there is some comment like, error: 'libxyz' is not found, than you have to look for package that contains this library. I use adept-manager to search for those, and google if I fail to find it there.
5. when you finally install all packages needed, you proceed to next step
6. run make command
7. run make install command
8. finito, last two commands should run smoothly, if there are still some problems, consult google with keyword as your error text.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hello there I am so grateful I found your blog, I really found you by error, while I was looking on Yahoo for something else, Regardless I am here now and would just like to say kudos for
a fantastic post and a all round entertaining blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to read through it all at
the moment but I have book-marked it and also added
in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read much more, Please do keep up the awesome work.


My blog :: candy crush hack no survey no password

Popular posts from this blog

Timeline on Latex

Exporting Skype Chat/Skype Contacts to csv file using the shell script and sqlite3 (usually already installed on mac)

trim() not supported by IE7 and IE8